Ranthambore National Park
It is of the largest and the most famous National Parks in Northern India. This 400 sq km park lies in the Sawai Madhopur District of Rajasthan. At the confluence of this park lies the Aravalli and Vindhya hill ranges. Animals can be easily spotted here, thus making this park an admirable place.
Ranthambore National Park gained recognition as a wildlife sanctuary in 1957. However, in 1973 the government proclaimed it as the “Project Tiger” reserve. In 1981. It was recognized as the National Park.
Ranthambore is unsurpassed and is known for spotting tigers in the natural jungle habitat. The sanctuary is 114 km from Kota and about 130 km from Jaipur. Nearest railway station is in Sawai Madhopur about 11km from this national park.The best time to visit this park is from Novemeber till May when the tigers are spotted.
Ranthambore National Park was regaurded as popular hunting ground of the Maharajas of Jaipur. Nowdays, it has gained importance as a major place for tourist attraction and a loved place of many wildlife photographers.
The sanctuary reminds of the forgotten era where you find a conglomeration of history, wildlife and nature at the same time. The imperial tigers can be sighted during day time also. The lack of fear of humans lets the tigers here hunt in presence of human visitors.
Site-seeing includes visiting:
1. Dry ephemeral forest land having about 539 species of fauna.
2. Tiger spotting
3. The majestic Ranthambore Fort built in 10 th century.
4. One of the largest lakes Padam Talav amongst other lakes located in the park.
5. Safari ride timings: 6.30 a.m and 3.30 p.m. Two options are available for the safari – a 20 seater open jeep and a 6 seater gypsy. Each ride costs around Rs. 700-800 per person.
The nearby resorts provides a high quality accommodation to the visitors.
How to reach:
1. Nearest railway station : Sawai Madhopur
2. Nearest airport: Jaipur and Kota
3. Distance by road: From Kota: 114kms
From Jaipur: 130 kms
From Delhi: 365kms
Car/Taxi can be hired directly from Kota/Jaipur as Kota-Ranthambore highway is the main highway.